Master of Mana was a great game – much better than Civ5, and from what we’ve seen of Civ6, Firaxis is still playing catch-up in a few areas :).
The author has disappeared, and his website has been taken over by scammers (not even going to link it), but the community has kept going the SourceForge-hosted copy of the source and continues to update it. The files are ordered confusingly (inherited from previous projects, and Civ4 itself, which was mainly shipped as a commercial game, not as a moddable game!). Here’s a few key links to find interesting / useful game-design gems:
- Folder with the XML files from community’s updated Civs, Techs, Units — all the game stats
- Folder with all the C/C++ source code (only needed for major game-changing mod features)
- Folder with most/all the custom Python scripts for the MoM civilizations (i.e. where 95% of Master of Mana is implemented)
- Base definitions of all the customized Civilizations (Their starting techs, their heroes, the units they start with, which units they can/cannot build or have special versions of, etc)
- Definitions of all the special buildable city-buildings in the game